Thursday 19 December 2013

The somewhat obligatory favourites of 2013 post: part one

It's nearing the end of 2013 wow yes it's flown by etc etc but now is the time where everybody and their non existent pet ostrich bust out lists of their favourite albums, songs, videos, gigs, whatever. I am not exempt from this and making lists is so much fun so here are my favourite albums of 2013!
In my opinion there haven't been that many great albums this year, but a handful were outstanding and some others a bit disappointing. But we won't talk about those. (Yet, at least)


White Lies - Big TV
White Lies' third album was always going to be amazing. White Lies can do no wrong. White Lies are the best thing since sliced bread. And I appreciate the concept of sliced bread a lot considering I cannot cut bread straight. After an incredible debut and an equally good follow up album full of atmospheric anthems that make you want to dash to your nearest mountain and shout at the top of your voice, Big TV certainly had a lot to live up to. But it definitely didn't disappoint. Like, at all. Even after the opening seconds of Getting Even, the first glimpse into what's on Big TV (oh yes what a pun) you just knew that this was gonna be one of the best albums this year. Big TV totally lives up to it's name see it's bursting with big choruses, big vibes and in general big tunes that enhance the White Lies live experience even further.
Favourite tracks: Mother Tongue, Big TV, Goldmine, There Goes Our Love Again



Drenge - Drenge
Drenge appear to be one of those bands that you either love or just aren't your cup of tea. You can either absolutely love them and feel like, proper #hardcore or something when you listen to them, or a bit like "what on earth is this noise up in my grill?" Admittedly, to begin with I was feeling the latter. But after a few more listens of Bloodsports I eventually came around. The album itself sealed the deal for me, as well as many other people I assume. A whole 38 minutes of mosh pit worthy anthems, (oh my god that is the cringest thing ever but it's the only way I can describe them)from the rowdy sounds of Bloodsports and Gun Crazy to the frankly quite incredible Let's Pretend (I'm not much of a fan of longer tracks so that is saying something) and the enthralling Fuckabout, there is something for everyone. Well, almost I guess.
Favourite tracks: Face Like A Skull, Bloodsports, Backwaters




Cults - Static
Cults are another band that to me can do no wrong. After an amazing 60's infused debut in 2011 (a pretty good year album wise, let's be honest) everyone was kind of left wondering what had happened to Cults for a while. I Can Hardly Make You Mine popped up spontaneously over the summer and showed the world that they hadn't lost any of the charm that littered their first album. Static is somewhat darker, with the slower tones of High Road and No Hope giving the album a slight twist. Madeline's very distinctive vocal style paired with the somewhat repetitive and samey tracks (in a good way) certainly aren't for everyone but they totally are for me so I'm putting Static in my top albums of the year, ennit.
Favourite Tracks: I Can Hardly Make You Mine, so Far, We've Got It




Splashh - Comfort
I felt like I was waiting my whole life for this album (okay so about a year but we all know I'm a fan of hyperbole) and the release delay of three months certainly didn't help. But when it did eventually drop (a whole month earlier than expected on the nicest blue vinyl that just about makes it the best piece of plastic I own) I'd say it went straight into my top three of the year. Since the majority of the tracks were previously singles it takes some getting used to to hear them all collectively as one album. Every song is amazing nonetheless and the term "summer soundtrack" defined. In my opinion it's actually quite an under-appreciated album, perhaps overlooked by other releases like Where The Heaven Are We and In Love, you know all of those bands that surfaced around mid 2012.
Favourite Tracks: All I Wanna Do, Headspins, Need It, Lemonade




MONEY - The Shadow Of Heaven
Another how do I put this? Somewhat disgustingly under-appreciated (that's pretty extreme) album, this time from Manchester's MONEY. This is not the album to stick on at a party, but instead a hauntingly charming collection of tracks to give you goosebumps. Their sound is unique; light and eerie and incomparable. Big and atmospheric yet soft and subtle, tough to describe. Either way it's a fantastic album, infused with hints of piano and drenched in frontman Jamie Lee's elaborate vocals.
Favourite tracks: Hold Me Forever, Who's Going To Love You Now, Bluebell Fields, Goodnight London 

Other honourable mentions:




Palma Violets - 180
Favourites: Best Of Friends, Last Of The Summer Wine, Step Up For The Cool Cats, 14




Peace - In Love
Favourites: Bloodshake, California Daze, Lovesick, Waste Of Paint





Icona Pop - This Is... Icona Pop
Favourites: I Love It, Light Me Up, All Night




Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Favourites: Stoned And Starving, Light Up Gold II, Master Of My Craft, Careers In Combat 

No comments:

Post a Comment