Saturday 21 December 2013

The somewhat obligatory favourites of 2013 post: part two

Tracks time! I chose 40 favourites even though there were a fair few more, 2013 seems to have been a great year for individual songs, albums not so much. But you can read about my favourites here if you wish. I included a couple of my favourite videos too. Consider it a Christmas present.


Christopher Owens - New York City
Cults - I Can Hardly Make You Mine
Drenge - Bloodsports
Astral Pattern - Sitting In The Sun
Foals - Inhaler
Metronomy - I'm Aquarius
Let's set the scene. It is late 2013. After the absence of Metronomy at Reading/Leeds, (the band had played something like seven years in a row) everyone is left wondering what happened to them. A short clip of some "shoop doo doo aaahhhs" appears online, and the people continue to speculate. The first taste of Metronomy's fourth album "Love Letters" only adds to the theory that if you open a dictionary and look up "groovy" you will in fact just find a picture of Metronomy. 
Wild Smiles - Tangled Hair
Spector - Decade Of Decay
SKATERS - I Wanna Dance (But I Don't Know How)
Tripwires - Spacehopper
A dreamy, whirring title track from one of Reading's new(ish) bands(Also see Sundara Karma.)Never mind Spacehopper, this is a real head bopper. 
Parquet Courts - Stoned And Starving
JAWS - Gold
Crystal Fighters - You & I
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good At Being In Trouble
MONEY - Goodnight London
Drowners - Long Hair
My absolute favourite track of the year, and quite possibly, ever. At just under two minutes long, it's tough not to hit repeat again and again. Carefree, catchy and charming. That may be a lot of Cs but this track gets an A* from me.
Best Coast - Fear Of My Identity
Temples - Colours To Life
White Lies - Big TV
Cults - So Far
Kanye West - Bound 2
CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share
Peace - Lovesick
Drenge - Face Like A Skull


This is the song that made me change my mind about Drenge, and the video is simple yet works pretty well, and I can't quite pinpoint why I like it so much.
Wavves - Sail To The Sun
Parquet Courts - You Got Me Wonderin' Now
Drowners - Luv, Hold Me Down
Palma Violets - Step Up For The Cool Cats
Superfood - Superfood
MS MR - Fantasy
Christopher Owens - Love Is In The Ear Of The Listener
Splashh - All I Wanna Do
I don't actually care that this came out in 2012, it had a re-release, making it acceptable to list it in my favourites of this year as well as last year. To be fair I would put it in my favourites of every year. Very fun to whistle to.
Swim Deep - She Changes The Weather
Foals - My Number
MONEY - Hold Me Forever
Palma Violets - 14
Vampire Weekend - Diane Young
White Lies - There Goes Our Love Again


There is something about really nice choreography that makes me want to like, cry. This is a prime example and every time I watch it I am just mesmerised by the routine and it makes me really want to take up dancing again.
The Orwells - Who Needs You
Icona Pop (ft. Charli XCX) - I Love It
That one you hate to love. Or love to hate. The brutal simplicity of lines like "I crashed my car into a bridge / I don't care I love it" almost make you want to adopt this way of thinking. Once you've played it a few times, you don't care and you do in fact, love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment