Sunday 17 August 2014

DIY Wellies Revamp

The boots were made for walking. In the mud. Thick mud. And also snow. These are the only uses I have for my wellies, and since they have become a lil' battered during the former in particular, I wanted to revamp them before Reading Festival next weekend. Judging by the weather in Reading at the moment, I will no doubt end up using them.
This idea originally came from trying to think of a way to fix the broken buckles on the side, which I managed to somehow snap off while watching Spector last year. What started out as some ribbon to tie up the buckles ended up as black fringe trim around the top of the boots, accented by sequins. Sequins, obviously. Since adding non-waterproof trim to wellies is not the most practical of ideas, it's a good thing that it cost me less than £1 to put together. (cherrrrr ching)
I sewed the fringe onto thin elastic to make it slightly stronger, and hand sewed the sequins on top. After my last endeavour into sequin applique I felt like an EXPERT at this




I gave my boots a clean and repaired the peeling lining. With the help of some "super sticky" glue I proceeded to glue fringe/sequin extravaganza around the top (this was some proper tense stuff) and two episodes of Say Yes To The Dress and an hour's worth of Judge Rinder later,(if you have never watched it I suggest you do) tada/hey presto/hooray I was left with some funky looking fringing on my boots. The fringe looks great when moving, dancing or fleeing from impending mosh pits and walls of death, so I'll obviously have the coolest boots at Reading Festival and beyond. Unless you happen to have a pair of boots that are entirely sequinned, that is. They might just be a bit cooler.




BEFORE


Work in progress (I didn't intentionally choose to use pegs the same colour as the spots on the boots)





The finished product (and what became of the broken buckles? I ended up glueing them closed)

Materials Used:
  • Black 2 inch fringing: 40p per metre
  • Black strung sequins: 33p per metre
  • Elastic
  • Super Sticky Glue



No comments:

Post a Comment