Sunday 3 August 2014

July Favourites

The weather is hot and the summer holidays have officially begun. Not much has happened in July and pretty much everything I'm looking forward to is this month (i.e seeing Drowners again and Reading Festival, which means seeing Drowners again.) Here are some things I have been #digging in the thirty one days of the seventh month of 2014:

Kim Kardashian: Hollywood
I must admit I was never really bothered about Kim Kardashian or any of the other Kardashians. I, among many others, was bewildered about the world's obsession with them, and my interest in watching any of their shows has been fairly minimal. But I, among many others once more, was sucked into a virtual world at the promise of fame and fortune, albeit virtual. I am of course talking about Kim Kardashian: Hollywood, or "The Kim K Game." This free game hit the app store in early July and I have been hooked ever since. It was initially one of those games I download for a laugh, with the intention of playing it for a couple of hours, draining my battery, and consequently deleting it. But once Kim had started being so nice to me, I couldn't bring myself to delete it. I have been spending a somewhat ridiculous amount of time on photoshoots, endorsements, and running from place to place tapping everything from fire hydrants to birds to gather extra energy for more stars. My character doesn't look like me, she wears all black with an Anna Wintour haircut. Her boyfriend wears all black too, but every time they go on a date he just insults her outfit choices. Maybe it's time to ditch him for an A Lister to match her A List #1 status. Or maybe it's time for me to check into Kim K Game Rehab.




The Commonwealth Games
I'm sure anyone that knew me in 2012 will tell you I was absolutely obsessed with the Olympic and Paralympic games. At first I was dreading them thanks to all the hype surrounding them, then I had an epiphany and fell in love. (I visited the Olympic park, went to see some Paralympic rowing and ending up purchasing everything from the DVDs of the Games to Olympic mugs) I love it when sporting events are in the same time zone as me so naturally I wanted to watch as much of The Commonwealth Games as I possibly could. As someone who can barely run for a bus, I am in awe of all these amazing athletes and I love how patriotic everyone/everything is! Just look at my (not very neatly done) nails





The IT Crowd
In July, I watched The IT Crowd. A lot. I should probably go here to learn how to introduce colour into my wardrobe, what with the hot weather and all:




Alvvays
Toronto's Alvvays (pronounced Always, but I can't seem to stop saying it like Alvays) make dreamy music on par with Best Coast and Cults' debuts. Their album dropped this month, and after hearing Archie, Marry Me I had a strong feeling it would be very good. Ding ding! I was correct. Possibly one of my favourite albums of the year so far.

Yuck
Back in the days of NME TV, when I was 13, I decided I didn't like Yuck. I based this very strong opinion on hearing like, 30 seconds of Get Away. A year or so later I saw the light and looking back I was super stupid and missed out on seeing Yuck before their lineup change which SUCKS. But over the last couple of months I have become obsessed with their 2011 debut, and July was no exception. 


Denim Idols #tbh


My Jams this month:
Hebronix - Viral
Parquet Courts - Dear Ramona
Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me
Estelle - American Boy (ft. Kanye West)
Blessa - Unfurl

No comments:

Post a Comment